Wild Sorrel: A Taste of Spring


  We have had our share of mornings with freezing temperatures & ice in our bird bath (yes, even in central Florida), but the signs of spring on the way are evident again:  longer daylight hours, trees budding out & wild sorrel emerging through patches of dry dead grass by the fences and among the other weeds trying to grow inbetween rows of baby lettuces & arugula.   I have always been curious about wild edibles & when a chef friend/customer of mine asked if I grew  sorrel for market, I told him I wasn't but had seen it growing wild on my farm.   I decided it was time to gather some & cook something with it.  I searched the internet and all my herb books & chose to try a sauce.   I adapted the recipe to fit the ingredients I had on hand & spooned it over tilapia, and steamed carrots.  I was skeptical until I had a bite.  I really couldn't imagine how good it would be, creamy but not too rich, a very tasty new dimension to my meal,  and so easy to cook up!   So weather & all providing, I will be gathering more wild sorrel for market to  spread the taste of spring.  I wncourage you to give it a try.  You can find my  own sorrel sauce recipe in my recipes page.  Scroll down to Recipe 5.  Happy spring everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good Bye Greens, Hello Tomatoes and Summer Squash!

Bringing our products to you!

T'is Hibiscus Flower Season Again!